Help for Problems
Appointment Booking
Question of the Month
Media Coverage
Dr Redmond Biography
Privacy Statement


Question of the Month

Q:  I have PCOS and some other problems that I think are hormone related. My family doctor isn't very knowledgeable about these issues. What kind of specialist can I ask to be referred to. (I'm not interested in getting pregnant again)

The question you ask is more difficult to answer than it should be. There are only a few specialists who are really knowledgeable about the treatment of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). The fields which relate to PCOS are gynecology, particularly "reproductive endocrinologists" who are gynecologists with extra training in hormone problems. However most of them devote their practices to infertility and not to the other problems of PCOS
which go on even when the woman does not want pregnancy. Some medical endocrinologists are knowledgeable about PCOS but more are not. One place to look is the professional directory of the PCOSA - see links on my website.

I see women with PCOS from all over the U.S. in my New York City practice because they have difficulty finding someone who can help them near where they live. The good news is that treatment for PCOS has improved dramatically in the last several years. The less good news is that it may take a considerable effort to find a physician who knows how to apply these advances to help individual women with PCOS.

I'll be posting a very detailed article on PCOS on this website very soon.

Hope this is helpful.

Geoffrey Redmond, MD

Read Other Questions ->

Read Articles on Similar Subjects ->

Home  Consultation  Help for Hormone Problems   Question of the Month   FAQ
Newsletter  Media Coverage 
Links  Biography  Research   Privacy Statement   Map to Clinic

Information provided by Hormone Center of New York  212-338-0002
Copyright © 2008 Hormone Center of New York.
E-mail: info@hormonehelpny.com 

This web site is not intended as a substitute for medical advice.
The reader should regularly consult a physician in all matters relating to his/her health,
and particularly in respect of any symptoms that may require diagnosis or medical attention.

Copyright © 2008 Hormone Center of New York.  Last modified: 03/23/08
Site designed and hosted by